The day Parker was born, February 27th, we knew something wasn’t quite right with his leg. His left foot was turned in and under and he had a red spot, that almost looked like a blister, on his left outside ankle. To me it looked like a Club Foot, or maybe a dislocated ankle, but I wasn’t going to make any judgments until he saw the doctors. I had tried to stretch Parker’s foot and ankle, but we weren’t able to put him in a good position. I wasn’t sure if it was just dislocated or if it had grown in a bad position or was an actual Club Foot. On Tuesday, February 28th, Parker got to see a bunch of doctors and nurses and other people. He saw the head of Neonatology for Palmetto Richland who did confirm that he thought Parker had a Club Foot. We were told that we would get a consult with Dr. Locke, a pediatric orthopedist. I was very excited to hear that Dr. Locke was going to look at Parker because I had a great prior working relationship with him and trusted him and his abilities. That day Parker also had his circumcision, we were not able to have him in our room for more than 3 hours. During those 3 hours Lauren decided to go home and get us some new clothes and get freshened up. Unknown to us, while she was out of the hospital, Parker saw Dr. Locke who casted him immediately for his Club Foot. We thought we were going to get a consult and talk about a game plan. After he casted Parker he came into our room to explain the process to me and told me that the clinic he works with runs a Club Foot Clinic which uses the Ponseti method. He told me there would be a series of serial casts to better position his foot, possible surgery, and braces that would follow that Parker would sleep in. We were to be seen at Moore Orthopedic every Wednesday for the Club Foot Clinic. When Lauren got back to the hospital I had to break the news to her about Parker’s Club Foot and the process and that he had already been casted. Needless to say this was very tough for me to tell her and very tough for her to take. This was the first of what I am sure will be many tears for everyone.
On Wednesday, March 7, we went to Moore Orthopedic Clinic to have Parker’s cast changed. We were informed that they tried to contact us but they still had birth-mom’s contact and insurance info but our names. We had been contacted by our social worker that they had contacted our birth-mom but we didn’t get the message until after hours. After we got our insurance information straightened out we were brought back to have Parker’s cast cut off. Then we were told that he would not be able to be seen until later in the afternoon, which is one reason they were trying to get in touch with us the day before (have we mentioned adoption is hard). We were also informed that our insurance may not cover the process since a good bit of it falls under occupational therapy (OT), and that he needed to be seen by the OT. More emotions, more hard times. Parker and Lauren had to go back in the afternoon for Parker to be re-casted since I only took a half day off from work. When they returned Lauren was informed of a different game plan (another set of tears and hard emotions). She was informed that Parker would be casted 4-5 more times by the OT, then they would perform a surgery to clip his heel cord, then he will be casted again for 3 weeks or so, then he will be in his Ponseti braces for 3 months for 23-24 hours a day ( I think there is a weaning schedule in there) and then he would have to wear his braces during nap time and bed time for 3-4 years. We were also informed that he might need OT on a more regular basis, which the insurance we have does not cover, but they would give us a self-pay cash rate. Needless to say this was again hard for everyone to take, we sure didn’t think it would be this long of a process. We were told that they would try to work with our insurance and bill his castings under a doctors visit so that it would be covered under insurance.
Later that night when I got home from work we did some YouTube searches and found out that this new plan was more in line with what Dr. Ponseti has lined out for his method. A lot of the kids online however were not casted the day after birth, hopefully this will give Parker a better outcome. Also Parker only has one foot affected while most others have both sides involved. After watching the videos and getting more information, I think we are all a little more relieved. Hopefully Lauren and I will be able to do a majority of Parker’s therapy after his casting and we can get him moving without him being seen in the office. This will cut down on our cost and I know I will be able to work harder and longer with him than the OT who might see him for an hour or so at a time. This will be a long process but should make Parker’s life a lot easier and he should be able to play any sport he wants.
Parker has not been bothered by his cast at all, ever. He still does not fuss or complain and he is able to move his him in every direction. He isn’t in any pain as far as we can tell. We will take the whole process one day, one week, and one event at a time. We continue to pray and live by faith. We know that God only has a Plan A and makes no mistakes. Continue to pray for us and with us as we go through this process. Updates will continue
Hey Scott, my husband Brandon interned with you at Ellis. I've enjoyed following Laurens pictures and updates via Facebook. Parker is adorable! I read about his reflux and our little guy had it bad in the beginning too and is growing out of it now at 6 months. elevate his mattress once he goes into a crib. Good luck. I'm sure his foot problems hurt mommy and daddy more than him but he's got a smart daddy with experience in the field to help him through!
ReplyDelete